Research and expert activities focuses on the breeding of deciduous forest tree species (especially fast-growing woody species), preservation of deciduous, woody species gene resources, and forest seed management.
A “Seed Testing laboratory”, accredited by the Czech Accreditation Institute (as L1175) for quality testing of forest tree and shrub seeds, is a part of the department.
The head of the department is Ing. Lena Bezděčková.
Breeding of deciduous tree species
- inventory, reproduction methods and utilization of noble hardwoods gene resources
- improvement of poplars for clonal forestry (hybridization in section Leuce, Aigeiros) and micropropagation of the best-tested clones
- intra- and interspecific hybridization of oaks (Quercus spp.), breeding of resistance against Phytophthora spp.
- interspecifichybridization of introduce wood walnut (Juglans nigra) and native walnut (Juglans regia)
- monitoring of Phytophthora spp. occurrence on oaks trees (Quercus robur)
clonal archive of broadleaved tree species (Populus, Salix, Ulmus, Quercus, Pyrus, Malus)
- testing of fast-growing tree species (poplars and willows) for biomass production
- extension service on plantation of poplars and willows (List of poplar clones)
Forest tree seeds
- investigation of factors responsible for the inefficiency of existing, pre-sowing treatments with the goal to increase beechnut germination and subsequent beech seedlings emergence (Improvement of pre-sowing treatments for dormant, European beech seeds)
- study of fructification and quality of seeds from Scots pine seed orchards (MZe0002070203 Stabilisation of forest functions in anthropically disturbed and changing environmental conditions)
- testing of quality of forest tree and shrub seeds in an accredited Seed testing laboratory
- providing an extension and advisory service focused on collection, storage, pre-sowing treatment, health and quality of forest tree and shrub seeds
Additional details on vulhmuh.cz