Project O-19/2008: “Expert and consultation activity in the field of forest seed and nursery management, reforestation, and afforestation including the quality control of the reproduction material of forest tree species”
This project is guaranted by accredited Forest Seed Testing Laboratory or accredited laboratory no. 1175.2 Forest Nursery Control:
- In frame of the activity, expert service was ensured on problem of the quality of forest tree seeds and reproductive material (standards), suitable growing of seedlings, keeping of optimal growing conditions, use of biologically suitable types of containerised plants, optimisation of reforestation techniques (lower losses), and finding out of causes of unsatisfactory regeneration.
- The occurrence of fungi on forest tree seeds (mainly on beechnuts) was evaluated as well. Also the incidence of Fusarium circinatum on conifer seeds was investigated.
- Forest subjects (owners) have addressed our laboratory mainly in disputable cases, mainly doubts on lower physiological quality of seedlings, to prevent losses in reforestation. To ensure objectivity, samples were taken by the staff of the Forest Research Station at Opocno (FRSO). The protocols, based on the assessment results, were proceeded to the contractors.
- Evaluation of the newly used types of containers for containerised seedlings is also an important part of the work.
- Information service for forest owners based on professional information database was ensured by personal communication, phone, fax, e-mail, or short written reports. The database has about 8 800 records (bibliographic citations) on forest nursery, reforestation, and connected fields, and it is completed continuously by recent home and foreign information. The database of seed quality contains records about more then 26 000 seed samples.
- Management of Web site of research stations (World Wide Web servers), presentations at conferences and seminars and in professional articles to forestry problems are another form of the expert activity.
Contact for forest seed testing:
Mgr. Zdenka Prochazkova, Ph.D.
Forest Research Station
Na Zahonech 601
CZ – 686 04 Kunovice, Czech Republic
Phone: +420 572 549 115
Fax: +420 572 549 119
Contact for forest nursery management:
Forest Research Station
Na Olive 550
CZ – 517 73 Opocno, Czech Republic
Phone: +420 494 668 391 or +420 494 668 392
Fax: +420 494 668 393